Welcome to our in-depth review of UFC 199, a memorable event that took place on June 4, 2016, at The Forum in Inglewood, California. The event featured thrilling matchups, shocking upsets, and unforgettable moments that have left a lasting impact on the MMA world. Join us as we break down the main card, highlight the preliminary card, and discuss the takeaways from this incredible event.
Main Card Breakdown
Luke Rockhold vs. Michael Bisping
In the main event, Luke Rockhold was set to defend his middleweight title against Michael Bisping, who took the fight on short notice after Chris Weidman’s injury. In a stunning upset, Bisping knocked out Rockhold in the first round to claim the title, proving that he should never be counted out.
Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber
The co-main event featured a bantamweight title fight between Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber. This was the third meeting between the two, with both fighters having a win apiece. Cruz showcased his unparalleled footwork and striking to secure a unanimous decision victory over Faber, solidifying his place as the top bantamweight in the world.
Max Holloway vs. Ricardo Lamas
In a featherweight bout, the rising star Max Holloway faced off against the seasoned veteran Ricardo Lamas. Holloway’s striking was on display as he outclassed Lamas throughout the fight. In the final seconds, both fighters threw caution to the wind, engaging in a wild exchange that left fans on their feet. Holloway won via unanimous decision.
Dan Henderson vs. Hector Lombard
The legendary Dan Henderson squared off against Hector Lombard in a middleweight clash. Henderson’s experience and heart shined through as he delivered a brutal second-round knockout, adding another highlight-reel finish to his storied career.
Dustin Poirier vs. Bobby Green
In a lightweight battle, Dustin Poirier and Bobby Green went toe-to-toe in an exciting back-and-forth fight. Poirier’s striking proved to be the difference-maker, as he finished Green in the first round with a series of powerful punches.
Preliminary Card Highlights
Brian Ortega vs. Clay Guida
In a featherweight showdown, Brian Ortega faced the always-tough Clay Guida. The fight was competitive, but Ortega’s striking eventually found its mark, earning him a third-round knockout.
Beneil Dariush vs. James Vick
In a lightweight tilt, Beneil Dariush took on James Vick. Dariush’s grappling and ground control proved too much for Vick, leading to a first-round submission victory.
Jessica Andrade vs. Jessica Penne
This women’s strawweight bout featured Jessica Andrade taking on Jessica Penne. Andrade showcased her striking and aggression, overwhelming Penne and earning a second-round TKO victory.
Cole Miller vs. Alex Caceres
In a featherweight clash, Cole Miller faced off against the unorthodox Alex Caceres. The fight went the distance, with Caceres’ striking and movement earning him a unanimous decision victory.
UFC 199 provided an action-packed night of fights, with memorable performances from both established stars and rising contenders. The event will always be remembered for Michael Bisping’s shocking upset victory over Luke Rockhold, as well as Dominick Cruz’s dominant win over his longtime rival Urijah Faber.
Takeaways and Legacy
UFC 199 left a lasting impression on the MMA world, with several key takeaways:
- Never underestimate a fighter, especially when it’s Michael Bisping.
- Dominick Cruz solidified his place as one of the greatest bantamweights of all time.
- The future is bright for fighters like Max Holloway and Brian Ortega, who both showcased their skills on this card.
- Age is just a number, as proven by Dan Henderson’s spectacular knockout victory.
In conclusion, UFC 199 was a thrilling event that featured a mix of shocking upsets, dominant performances, and unforgettable moments. The event’s legacy will live on, as it impacted the careers of many fighters and left fans with memories that will last a lifetime.
- What was the main event of UFC 199?The main event was a middleweight title fight between Luke Rockhold and Michael Bisping.
- What was the biggest upset at UFC 199?The biggest upset was Michael Bisping’s first-round knockout victory over Luke Rockhold, claiming the middleweight title.
- Which fighters had standout performances at UFC 199?Standout performances include Michael Bisping, Dominick Cruz, Max Holloway, and Dan Henderson.
- What was the most memorable moment from UFC 199?The most memorable moment was the wild exchange between Max Holloway and Ricardo Lamas in the final seconds of their fight.
- What was the date and location of UFC 199?UFC 199 took place on June 4, 2016, at The Forum in Inglewood, California.